Sunday, April 25, 2010

It's Been A While

Hopefully this won't be my last blog. Sorry it's taken me so long to get on here again. I just want to blog to discuss what I am trying to do with my film.
Working Title: Avatar?<---I wonder what the actual definition is...
Anyway, i think I first got the idea for my film when I was actually flying. I get an unusual feeling when I fly, not of fear or anything, just weird thoughts. Like, if this plane crashes, who I would try to contact on the way down to my death, to have that last contact with them to let them know, that they meant something to me. Would I enjoy this kind of death? I don't know.
So, I got to think about just flying in general. I considered whether other people think about dying when they fly, why people enjoy flying, and eventually got to the point where I believe that humans have always been obsessed about flight. So, that's what I wanted to study. Human's obsession with flight.
My next challenge was how to show this through found footage. Ideally I would've wanted more footage of people actually trying to fly, but failing, like those pictures of strange contraptions people would make to give them flight. A man running around with feathers would've been great. But, with found footage, you have to work with what you got.
When I found this film made about a handicapped person constructed in a way that you believed he wanted the same mobility as everyone else, I decided that this was a great starting point. So I cut up shots from this film and used continuity editing to set up he was looking at the world around him, and seeing people moving about and flying about him.
I really like where the film is going. I like the idea of the sound fading in and out. It almost gives the film some humor of the world this man is living in. I have to find more footage of sound now though in order for the sound to be constant throughout and not just at the beginning.
I still don't really know about the first shot. I really like it, but I can see how it needs to be integrated more throughout in order for it to work. I have plenty of footage of it, so it shouldn't be a problem. It really speaks to me though, but I don't know that it will speak the same thing to everyone else. Hopefully, by integrating it more, it's meaning will become more apparent. I wonder if it could just be fixed with a more descriptive title. But somehow, I don't think something like "Watch my shoes while I fly" would fit, and would take away people's individual perspective of what those shoes mean.
These are my unorganized thoughts.
Avatar (noun)
- a manifestation of deity or released soul in bodily form on earth
- incarnation/embodiment/ or manifestation of a person or idea
Does it work? Other title suggestions?
Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. http://npirl.blogspot.com/2009/06/poetic-steampunk-flight-by-victorian.html

    ReplyDelete