Sunday, February 28, 2010

Home is where the heart lives...

I think home movies are really interesting to study. It's sort of like an unexplained watered down documentary. Home movies have had a pretty big impact on my life now that I think about it. The first camera I got my hands on was my family's Panasonic VHS Tape Recorder, where I did some of my first video making. I think I or my parents still have all that footage around, and I have gone back and watched some of it. One instance I love, is a tape in Florida for Christmas when I was around 6 or 7 maybe, my mom was filming...i think...and after awhile of pointing the camera at me and my dad and brother, the camera is set down, but the camera is still running. For those minutes, you can hear life as it was in that moment, yet watching the balcony of the condo, without any sort of playing towards the camera. I've always had the desire to sort of dig into my past as well as my family and make some sort of narrative of those home movies, or to see if there is a hidden story like in The Future is Behind You. In doing so I may manipulate how I see my own past, which could be good or bad, but probably have an indifferent outcome. I think the experience could be very personal, educational, and interesting. Anyway, that's my thoughts on that matter. I probably won't do my three shot edit until Monday or Tuesday, but I will put some effort into it in any case.

No comments:

Post a Comment