Sunday, February 14, 2010

Montage General Thoughts

Montage is a really important, interesting, and unique aspect of filmmaking. The juxtaposition of images can really speak a lot to what you are trying to say with your film, whether it's simple (insert russian name here) things about representing hunger, or anger, or something more complex like the fetishization of violence or sex. Bruce Conner showed how montage could really enhance your experience of a certain time and space, by repeating the moment several times back to back in Report. I got sucked into the rhythm of images of the car passing in the motorcade, and Jackie Kennedy going to open the door, but finding it locked. Though I had not experienced the moments leading up to the assassination first hand, I felt the images were somehow more present and haunting, as if I was seeing them repeated over and over on the TV. The power of montage was also very apparent in Connor's A Movie. Where he was able to create little massages and big themes in his film by only juxtaposing different and unrelated images.
I am very excited to see what gems I can find in the recycled images locker, and really excited to be working on the Steinbeck, sp?, again. I really want to play with altering the image in subtle as well as drastic ways as well. That's all for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment